Lahore : Use of calcium carbide for artificial ripping of fruits may cause cancer, intestine issues, loss of memory, insomnia and other life threatening diseases.
In view of these adverse effects, Punjab food authority has decided to ban use of harmful chemical "calcium carbide" in the artificial ripening of fruits by 10 December.
Warning notices have already been issued to fruit farmers, cold storages and to traders of fruit markets. The authority will destroy such artificial ripen fruits found in markets, cold storages or farms after 10 December.
Director General PFA Noor Ul Amin Mengal said artificial ripening of fruits and vegetables are dangerous to the health of people of all ages, especially children and the elderly.
He said that according to the experts using calcium carbide for ripen of fruits, produces acetylene gas that may cause life threatening diseases. He said that around the globe for artificial ripening of fruits Ethylene is used that diminishes the risk of diseases.
To ascertain a safer growth process, the matter has been referred Scientific Panel of Punjab Food Authority. Further action will be taken basing on report of the scientific panel.
DG PFA has said that calcium carbide ripen fruits were silent killers and sale of such fruits would, at any cost, be allowed.
Related Industry Knowledge
- Gas absorber on effects of Agaricus bisporus st...
- The chemistry of sulphur dioxide
- Areas of application of sulfur dioxide
- Risk analysis of sulfur dioxide
- Trichloro isocyanuric acid sustained-release ta...
- Multi-purpose, multiple effects of disinfectant...
- Fungicide main species
- Classified according to fungicide use
- History of microbicide development
- The important function of fungicides
- Farming Guide for Mango Plantation
- Why you should never set fire to a box of mangoes
- How to Keep Fruits and Veggies Fresh
- What is Ethylene?
- XianFeng 1-MCP Fumigant Solution for Fresh-keep...